UPSC also known as s Union Public Service Commission is India’s one of the highly reputed departments which are responsible for conducting some of the highly reputed government jobs in the dignified departments of government. The job seekers who are dreaming of being a part of it has a good opportunity to avail it, through the latest notification in their official site @ upsc.gov.in for the UPSC Exam dates 2018-2019.
The Union Public Service commission has released a notification for the examination of Civil Services preliminary examination for the year 2018-2019. The Exam will be conducted for the prestigious posts in the Indian Government Administration which includes Indian Administrative Services( IAS), Indian Forest Services( IFS), Indian Revenue Services( IRS) and Indian Police Services ( IPS).
As per the UPSC Exam Dates 2018-2019 Notification, these civil service exams will be conducted on June 3rd, 2018. The Application forms will be made available on the official website from February 7th onwards. Let us understand the details of Eligibility Criteria, Syllabus and Exam Pattern, Preparation Tips for the upcoming UPSC Exam.
UPSC Exam Dates 2018-2019: Eligibility Criteria
Candidates need to be aware of the various eligibility criteria set by the UPSC Exam Administration for the candidate to qualify for appearing in the exam. These are as follows-
- Educational Qualification: The Aspirant should be a holding a graduate degree from a reputed institution which should be recognized under the UGC norms.The Graduate degree can be from any stream.
- Age Limit: The Minimum age limit for general category is 21 years and the maximum is 32 years. The maximum age limit varies for different categories, OBC- 35 years, SC/ST 37 years, Physically challenged- 42 years.
- Number of attempts: An eligible person is not authorized to attempt these exams any number of times, there are certain restrictions towards it. For General – 6 Attempts, OBC- 9 attempts, SC/ST- unlimited attempts.
- Nationality: Only Indians, Candidates who are Nepalese, Bhutanese and from Tibet should have a permanent resident of India.
- Physical Criteria: This is specifically for IPS category, Minimum Height for men – 165cm, Women- 150cm.
UPSC Exam Dates 2018-2019: Exam Pattern and Syllabus
All the categories of examination from UPSC Exam Administration has three main phases namely:
- Phase 1-Prelims, which is conducted once in a year and during the month of June/August.
- Phase 2- Mains Examination, Conducted once in a year during the month of November/December.
3. Phase 3- Personality Test( Interview), Occurs in the month of May to check the overall stability of the candidate towards the particular position.
UPSC Exam Dates 2018-2019: Preliminary Exam Syllabus
There are two compulsory papers of general studies(GS-1 and GS-2) consisting of multiple and objective types questions.
The Total marks for each paper is 200 marks totaling the marks for Prelims to 400 marks.
Duration of each section is 2 hours.
Candidates must obtain minimum qualifying marks of 33% in General Studies 2 paper of UPSC civil service exam. This is mandatory to qualify for the main exam.
Preliminary Exam-Paper 1:
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian Polity and Governance
- Indian and World Geography
- General Science
Preliminary Exam- Paper 2:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy
UPSC Exam Dates 2018-2019: Mains Exam Syllabus
The Mains Exam in UPSC Exam has a vast syllabus. The marks obtained in the Mains Exam and interview decides the candidates rank for the UPSC EXAM. It consists of Nine Papers however 7 papers will be considered for qualifying. Other two papers are not counted for the final ranking. Let’s have a detailed information.The Mains Exam carries a total of 1750 marks and Interview is of 275altogether it is 2025 marks.
Papers to be included in final ranking:-
- Paper 1 – Essay, it consists of 250 marks.
- Paper 2 to Paper 5- General Studies which includes all the details of the above syllabus however these papers are subjective and has be written instead of MCQ. Each paper consisting of 250 marks.
- Paper6 to Paper 7- Optional Paper 1 and Paper 2, each paper carrying marks of 250.
Papers not be counted in the final ranking:
- Paper A: Indian Language, the candidate needs to select one of Indian language out of the option available, it carries a total of 300 marks.
- Paper B: English Language, it also carries a total of 300 marks.
UPSC Exam Dates 2018-2019: Preparation and Interview tips
- Be focused and keep yourself updated about the current affairs.
- Take help of coaching institutes for better understanding.
- Practice the mock tests available online regularly.
- Develop your Time Management Efficiency.
- Be confident and have a smiling attitude while on the interview.
- Avoid giving any negative answers to the interviewer.
- Remember that the interview is to know the mental and personal abilities of the candidate.
- Always thank the Interviewer for his/her time at the end.
The Aspirants with focused attitude, dedication, concentration and most importantly willingness to be a part of India’s most reputed administration services has the possibility to come out in flying colors.